Thursday, July 14, 2016

Cumberland Island, GA

Dungeness Ruins are located on the southern tip of Cumberland Island National Seashore.













Feral horses roam freely on the island.




Cumberland Island Wilderness preserves the undeveloped nature of the island. I took the 9:00 am ferry over to the island with my back pack loaded. (You would think I was headed out for a weeks hike.) There are no concessions on the island (there are bathrooms and water) so I packed 4 bottles of water, peanut butter and honey sandwich, 2 granola bars, 2 packs of peanut butter and cheese crackers and a quart zip lock bag of kettle potato chips. I made sure to put on plenty of sun screen and included in the back pack bug spray and one of those wet cloths athletes wear to keep cool. I started my hike at 10:00 am from the docking area to the Dungeness Ruins then on through the sand dunes to the beach. I had lunch on the beautiful beach then hiked over a mile to the next exit point to head back across the island at narrowest point of 1/2 mile. The entire hike was over 5 miles and I was at the Sea Camp Rangers Station in under 4 hours. I was very pleased to see the ranger station with a large porch and rocking chairs waiting for me! The ferry back to St Mary's pulled out at 2:45 pm. The last ferry of the day was at 4:30 pm. ( I was glad to take the earlier ferry!) Oh, by the was, I forgot to tell you I chose the hottest day of the year to do this. The temp. was 100, at least I had a breeze as long as I was on the water. Inland there was no breeze. I guess I'm in not too bad a shape!

I should back up and tell you about our start to the trip. We loaded up the RV and headed to Tampa at Lazydays for our first night. (This way we can get a early start the following morning.) All the sites are back-ins so I drive the car and we hook up to tow the next morning. Just as Chris was getting off in Tampa the generator conks out. The generator runs to keep the refrigerator and both A/C units running while we drive down the road. Chris is instantly hipper, go figure, and ready to turn around and cancel the trip. After calming down and checking and adding fluids everything is good and the trip is back on. Outside temps are 100 and our poor frig. is working overtime and can't get under 40. This gives me some concerns. We had the ice maker repaired and when we turned it on it started to leak again. UGH! Oh well, if things run in 3's we've hit our quota!

I am attaching pictures of Cumberland Island. Sam will do the next blog about 4 Paws Park. Wifi is very slow and it takes hours to down load pictures. Ill do my best. Loves and Hugs Judy, Chris and Sam



No comments:

Post a Comment