Friday, June 25, 2010

PA State Park Camping


Yeh a picture! Here in the Catskill Mts. at the Pine Grove Furnace State Park we had no Internet and no TV signal! We were on top of a mountain in the woods. At each site there was electric hook-up and that is all. They had water stations to fill you tanks and dump stations (to dump of course). The park had new bathrooms with great showers. (Chris had his first shower in a bath house.)

Let me bring you up to date. We had a beautiful trip from Natural Bridge, VA to Pine Grove, PA. We decided to try a State Park for something different than the KOA camp grounds. The directions said 8 miles from the Interstate. No Problem! Well let me say, it took over 30 min. to just get to the Park Office due to steep hills and sharp curves on narrow county roads. (A white knuckle drive and that was ME the passenger!)

We parked next to the Camp Host, since they had only two 50amp sites. Ron and Sandra were a fun couple around our age. Sandra is director of the local hospital Blood Bank and Ron is retired from there. Chris was standing in their camp site, visiting, when a Very Large Bird decided to take a dump! A BIG dump on top of his head. I kept telling him (while laughing) that is was supposed to be good luck. (He wasn't buying it.)

We had a camp fire every night, watched the lightening bugs, and visited with our neighbors. The forest is pitch black at night. They had a nice lake that a swam in, brrrrrrrr cold. We decided as nice as the park was, we liked camp grounds better. Since we had time Chris did some routine maintenance. He even had me crawling under the RV! Wait, did I sign up for this?(See the picture.)

Wednesday morning we said our good byes to our new friends and headed out for the Catskill Mountains of PA. We had only gone a short distance (not out of the park) when I heard a loud click click click sound with each rotation of the tires. Chris stopped the Coach and walked around the vehicle. There was no apparent problem. We started up again and click click clicking. After traveling a few, miles taking a different route thanks to our Camp Hosts, we pulled over in a parking lot to recheck. I drove the home forward while Chris walked along outside and listened. He had put air in the tires while at the camp, so he decided to readjusted the lug nuts, to see if that was the problem. Yea, it was. On the road again.

Now I forgot to mention that I had walked through the RV while moving, to see if anything was loose and causing that clicking noise. While in the back bedroom I noticed heat pouring out of the floor vents. I checked the settings to see if the heat had been turned on. I didn't have the heart to tell Chris we had another problem while we were looking for the clicking. While he was fixing the lug nuts I got out the RV manual. It seems there is a switch on the dash that allows the engine heat, when turned on, helps heat the coach. Guess What? It was turned on! I turned it off and the problem was fixed! Gosh I'm Good! (I told Chris after the fact.) Who knows how long it was on. We were heating the bedroom while running the air conditioning. I wondered why the rear of the RV seemed to be warmer!

Well, I didn't mean to be so windy! Tomorrow we leave for the Coast of Maine and Lobster! I'll be back with more adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment